VA – Small Boat Surface Rescue and Handling – June 2021
Altavista Fire Department is sponsoring our 2.5 day program coming up in Altavista, Virginia- June 2021 with spaces still available!
- June 11-13, 2021 Small Boat Surface Rescue and Handling: Altavista, Virginia – Click here for flyer and contact information.
Are you fully ready to get both you and the victim out?
Safe and effective small boat rescue requires a variety of skills, techniques, and equipment. This course will prepare rescuers with state-of-the-art procedures and equipment, with plenty of realistic, dynamic, hands-on scenarious.
- Rescuer Safety & Accident Prevention – Use the proper equipment to keep rescuers safe. Swim-code your rescuers. Train with PFD and Fin swimming skills.
- Boat operator rescue skills for moving and still water –What are the minimum skills a vessel operator should have? Learn how to handle vessels for rescue operations.
- Self defense procedures –Standard lifeguard techniques to handle a panicked victim will not work when rescuers are wearing proper flotation equipment. Learn vital techniques to keep you alive.
- Victim extrication and handling – Establish victim positive buoyancy, safely secure conscious, injured, and unconscious victims on backboards, and extricate victims onto boats.
- Boat maintenance and minor repair –Learn how to save your department a significant amount of money and vessel downtime. Simple maintenance procedures can prevent costly problems. Also, have the right tools to fix a problem during an actual rescue. Make your vessels Rescue-Ready.
- Pre-hospital Patient Care – All water rescuers need to understand what happens to immersed or submerged victims. Learn about immersion diuresis and hypothermia. Practice important water-related patient management skills.
- Search for a victim in moving water –Learn how to figure out where a victim is most likely to be.